We offer guided scenic horse pack trips into the Bob Marshall Wilderness. Outfitted with gentle horses and experienced guides, our guests venture into the vast, untouched wilderness of the Bob Marshall Complex for one of the great adventures the West has to offer. At the end of a 28-mile trail ride into the wilderness, our base camp awaits at the edge of a beautiful mountain stream and is just a short walk away from the legendary fishing opportunities of the South Fork of the Flathead River.
Scenic Horse Pack Trip Itinerary
The first day of the trip you will arrive at the Holland Lake Trailhead or Meadow Creek Trailhead, depending on where we are starting off the trip. Once we meet you, we will introduce you to your horse and get your saddle adjusted to your individual needs. We will show you a few tips on how to ride and direct your horse and try to have everyone on the trail by 8:30am. The ride into Holbrook basecamp is 25 miles from Meadow Creek Trailhead and 28 miles from Holland Lake Trailhead.
Once at camp you can cool down with fresh mountain spring water, enjoy some appetizers, read a book in the shade of the camp hammock, toss some horseshoes or get settled into your wall tent and then freshen up for a home cooked dinner around our long family-style table in the cook tent.
Wake up to fresh coffee and homemade breakfast. Then pack a lunch for your outing later that day. Take the second day to relax and rejuvenate close to camp, where you can fish the South Fork or White River easily within walking distance from camp, swim in many of the deep holes, or stretch out after the long ride in. Horses can be made available for you if you wish to fish further from camp or do one of the many side trips to see the awesome sights of the Bob Marshall Wilderness.
The rest of the trip will be tailored to your interests and can include:
- A spectacular day ride to the largest lake in the Bob Marshall Wilderness, Big Salmon Lake, where you can fish, cool off, or even swim with our horses in the lake
- An unforgettable ride up to view the Chinese Wall
- A trip to see the historic buildings of Big Prairie Ranger Station and visit with the Wilderness Rangers.
- Day trip options to the top of various mountain peaks for spectacular views (Charlotte, Scar Face, Turtle Mountain, Rampart, etc.)
- A day float on small one-person rafts that we can pack up river to the Bartlett Creek area and you can float and fish your way back to Holbrook
- A day float from Holbrook down river to Big or Little Salmon creeks, where we would meet up with a horse and a pack animal to bring you back to camp
Back at camp we will serve you appetizers and a delicious dinner. After dinner you can sit around the campfire and listen to stories and play campfire games.
We have an early breakfast and pack up all of your gear and prepare for the ride back to the trailhead. We will be arriving at the trail head around mid-afternoon. We always love to see your pictures, so please send them to us so that we can share them on our sites.
2020 & 2021
Scenic Horse Pack Trip Dates
- July 4 – 11 (8 days)
- July 14 – July 21 (8 days)
- July 24- July 31 (8 days)
- August 8 – 15 (8 days)
- August 21-28 (8 days)
- Trips can be customized, email for specific details.
All-Inclusive Trip Prices
To reserve a date see our policies.
- 5 Day Trips – $2,000 per person
- 7 Day Trips – $2,800 per person
- 8 Day Trips – $3,200 per person